Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Phil's Gastronomic Adventure #1


February 13th, Old Delhi, India:

At a vegetarian street-side stall in Old Delhi, it was morning. locals happily chomped away, surrounding a chaotic table of curry and dhal vats and a giant Indian-style wok making sweet roti. The combination was served on the classic Indian tin dish. Space was limited, but available: enough for a pair of elbows. All the cooks watched in wonder as I, the foreigner, tried to fit in. I ate cautiously, tearing off bite-sized roti pieces and applying curry to them with my lone item of silverware, a dirtied - but fully functional - metal spoon. As I continued, an old gentleman, somehow affiliated with this layman's F&B establishment, constantly reminded me that it was curry and roti that I was eating. "You eat curry and roti!" he repeated, pointing to the respective foods with his frail, wrinkled right index finger, not once confusing one for the other. He also happily refilled my waterglass from a distressed, mangled aqua-blue watercooler that had likely hydrated the morning masses on this street for years and years. I used my final Tapas-sized roti to proudly wipe away the curry from my mouth and fingers (sorry mom, no Wet Wipes), finally popping the morsel-turned-serviette into my mouth; the Phil Haslett gesture of gastronomical approval. I gratefully handed over my 10 Rupees, full and satisfied.

6 comments:

Kelly Hotta said...

wait, what happened next? teehee

Kelly Hotta said...

by the way, i'm pretty sure drinking that water was not the brightest idea.... but it looks like you're growing some cojones! congratulations! the wet wipes hyperlink was a little much, though.


B.

Gayle said...

I can forgive the lack of Wet Wipes, almost understand the dirty spoon, but the REFILL of water implies more than one glass. Coincidentally, my word verification for posting this comment is 'quiver,' which is exactly what I am doing right now. Now just remember to REFILL on the electrolytes.

Agustin Bautista said...

Hi I'm in Athens. It's cold! can't wait to meet up with you guys in Egypt.. enjoy Istanbul!

Auggie

Unknown said...

phil i have never seen anything BUT the international PH Sign de Approval. That would imply you never finished something. so funny this one. that picture of you looks like it will be the cover of Man vs. Food, Season II.

Jordan Bloem said...

Haha, "not once confusing one for the other." Sharp guy.

Will there be a Part 2? I am waiting on the edge of my seat.